- exposing the crisis in nonprofit fraud leadership…a crisis of pervasive and monumental waste, fraud, abuse, mismanagement, and malfeasance throughout the charitable sector which costs taxpayers and contributors tens of billions of dollars annually; and,
- seeking reforms that will restore the public’s lost confidence in the sector.
Leaders from two veterans groups facing embezzlement charges (source)
Sandy Hook Charity Conviction
She was the director of Health and Management at Northern Children’s Services (NCS), a nonprofit organization that provides mental and behavioral health treatment services for children. As director, she verified the accuracy of consultants’ invoices and submitted them for payment. The executive is accused of preparing consulting invoices for relatives and friends who were never consultants for NCS. She also allegedly prepared invoices for people who were consultants for NCS but for work they never performed. She then allegedly forged the names of the recipients to cash the checks.
- Silence: The Impending Threat to the Charitable Sector (Xlibris, 2011)
- Nonprofits: On the Brink (iUniverse, 2006)
- The Michigan Nonprofit Management Manual, Governance Section