- exposing the crisis in nonprofit fraud leadership…a crisis of pervasive and monumental waste, fraud, abuse, mismanagement, and malfeasance throughout the charitable sector which costs taxpayers and contributors tens of billions of dollars annually; and,
- seeking reforms that will restore the public’s lost confidence in the sector.
Legacy was one of more than 1,000 nonprofits nationwide that checked the "significant diversion" boxes on their annual tax reporting forms from 2008 to 2012. The top 10 diversions alone totaled more than a half-billion dollars.
It wants to keep its spending a secret.
The charity has hired a top-flight law firm to fight a public request. It is arguing that information about its Sandy activities is a "trade secret."
Based on survey responses from seventy-seven organizations — including twenty-nine that were created specifically in response to the December 2012 tragedy and thirteen based in other states — the report found that as of late 2013, funds totaling more than $15 million had been distributed.
- Silence: The Impending Threat to the Charitable Sector (Xlibris, 2011)
- Nonprofits: On the Brink (iUniverse, 2006)
- The Michigan Nonprofit Management Manual, Governance Section