- exposing the crisis in nonprofit fraud leadership…a crisis of pervasive and monumental waste, fraud, abuse, mismanagement, and malfeasance throughout the charitable sector which costs taxpayers and contributors tens of billions of dollars annually; and,
- seeking reforms that will restore the public’s lost confidence in the sector.
But when WESH 2 News Investigative reporter Matt Grant asked the charity's director to show them where those campsites are, he would not.
WESH 2 News Investigates began, yes, investigating. With a day or two several changes had been made to charity's founder Larry Hamer's website. The photos of tents and campsites were removed and the headline on the Foundation's website had been changed from, "We are housing America's homeless," to, "We provide needs for America's homeless."
Authorities say she took the money while she was benefits coordinator for the district. She was fired late last year and pleaded guilty in May to a grand theft charge.
She was previously convicted of embezzling from her father-in-law's business in Iowa in the late 1990s.
- Silence: The Impending Threat to the Charitable Sector (Xlibris, 2011)
- Nonprofits: On the Brink (iUniverse, 2006)
- The Michigan Nonprofit Management Manual, Governance Section